Monday, October 01, 2007

bus info for parents with children in the NYC special education system

NYC Public Schools Special Education Buses Busing Bus problems routes delays CSE New York City Office of Pupil Transportation OPT DOE Department of Education
We take a break from our regularly scheduled blog postings to assist other parents who may be in the same situation we just went through.

If your child is in the NYC public schools special education system and their bus schedule is not fitting his or her needs, here's what you have to do. You need to get a form entitled "Request for Medical Accommodations to be Completed by Student's Physician." You also need to complete a HIPAA form (authorization for release of health information). After the doctor completes the form, send them both to the Transporation Liaison for your the borough in which your child attends school.

The request form is not available online.

As we have learned, it is notenough to have the doctor write a letter and give it to the child's school.

If you are in Queens, contact the Transportation Liaison for CSE 4 and 5, Sharon Maynard at 718-391-8420 to receive the forms. Send completed forms to the Queens Integrated Service Center, 28-11 Queens Plaza North, Long Island City, NY 11101.

In other boroughs, contact the Parent Coordinator of your child's school for more information.

Good luck everyone!

No comments: