Sunday, March 23, 2008

life as they know it


Well, it certainly has been an exciting weekend for us! Today Bobby, Stella, and I visited the home of three of my personal heroes: Michael Berube, Janet Lyon, and their amazing son, Jamie. Michael's book, Life As We Know It: A Father, A Family, and an Exceptional Child was one of the first things I read after Stella was born. I found it comforting and helpful on so many levels to read of their experience as intellectuals and academics whose second son was born with Down syndrome.

I'd been hoping to meet them ever since I realized they had moved to the town where my brother David lives. This weekend it finally worked out, and our Stella Bella had a grand time exploring their lovely home, with Jamie as tourguide. Michael and Janet generously shared experiences, advice, and coffee with me--and Jamie generously shared a stuffed doggie with Stella! He also performed feats of memory and, in the photo above, attempted to balance a plate of pepperjack cheese on his father's head. Truly a wonderful visit with an inspiring family.

2 comments:

marybid said...

That is so awesome! I met him years ago--what a wonderful guy. I teach his essays often in my disability studies classes.

Unknown said...

That's really cool, Mary! I would love to see your syllabus sometime.