Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Influenza

I am writing under the influence of a virulent virus (how's that for redundancy?). Bobby got it Friday, then Stella and I picked it up over the weekend. What fun! Fever, headaches, body aches, coughing, coughing, and more coughing.

There's nothing like a good bout of the flu to remind us of our helplessness in the face of microorganisms.

In other news, classes have started at FIT and I'm looking forward to working with a new batch of students, and some return customers (victims?). Creative Writing online, Poetry (an intro lit course), and a brand new honors course: "Creative Imagination: Theory and Process" all promise to be exciting and challenging. I've ordered a bunch of books and videos on creativity for the FIT Library, who are so good to me. They're even doing a special display about these resources, tying it in with the conference I'm organizing:
Getting to Aha! Teaching Creativity at SUNY. Oh, and there's the FIT Poetry Club (website forthcoming). I'm the advisor and we have to submit our budget requests ASAP and plan events for the semester. And, of course, the usual planning, advising, and general putting out fires of my administrative work for the department. Fun, fun, fun!

OK, time to rest now. Just thinking about this makes me tired!

No comments: