Saturday, April 12, 2008

remembering Uncle Jim

This week my family lost one of our last members of the Greatest Generation: James Grimm, my father's uncle. Jim served in the Signal Corps of the Army Air Corps during World War II and his stories of the Asian theater were always fascinating. Jim's unflappable demeanor and dry humor will be greatly missed. I was very close to Jim and would visit him and my Aunt Betty whenever I got back to Springfield. I loved the way he would call me "Kid" (as in "How you doing, kid?" even when I had kids of my own. Unfortunately, I was unable to get there for the memorial service today. I'm trying to be there in spirit as much as possible.
The photo was taken on his wedding day, July 9, 1942. He and Aunt Betty got married in New Jersey while he was on a brief leave.
To read the obituary, click here.

No comments: